Thursday, September 3, 2009

Happy 18 months!

I'm more excited about the girls being 18 months old today than I usually am for their "monthly milestones!" Maybe because from now until closer to them turning 2 I'm just going to say they are 1 and half when people constantly ask how old. I don't have to say some crazy calculation of months and confuse all of those without young kids.

Another reason is it seems from my reading that a language explosion starts to happen between now and when they turn two and honestly, nothing would make me happier right now than hearing my girls try to repeat words and tell me stories. Of course they do alright with some words and I think they are repeating what I say (like counting), but honestly, I thought I would be hearing much more than animal sounds and "thank you" by now. They say a few words, but only things that I know what they are saying. If you came to my house today, you would have no idea that they just pointed to the dog walking by and said "dog, woof woof," but I do. The girls understand EVERYTHING or so it seems everything, I say, but they just don't tell us. I've also heard that kids who use sign language use that instead of using words, but I have to say, I don't think that is it either. They all will "say" thank you at the same time they do the sign for thank you. So really, I just want them to talk.

My mom tells me there is an old saying that "you wait 18 months for them to talk and 18 years for them to stop" so I suppose at some point, I will wish for the days without endless questions and "mommmmm!" but right now, I'm wishing for words.

Hoping to get some cute pics over the weekend. First OSU tailgate of the season on Sat. Should be a good time! Happy Labor Day everyone!

2 comments:

SaraBelle said...

Happy (belated) birthday girls!!

We're excited to say "year & a half" too! Tim HATES counting in months! :)

Harris Boys said...

happy belated 18 months girls. I know what you mean about trying to calculate the exact months to tell someone how old they are. I just say 2 and 1/2 now..its much easier...hehe