Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Bye Bye Ba-Ba's!

It's official, as of a week ago today, we are DONE WITH BOTTLES!!! WooHoo!

It feels so good to be writing this post, you have no idea. I have been cautiously waiting to post as I was afraid we would relapse, but it has been surprisingly smooth. 

And the way it came about is kind of funny to me. The girls were down to just 2 bottles a day (when they got up and one before bed), and then took sippy cups during all other times (mainly at meals or snack times). Last Wednesday, my neighbor who has a son who just turned one, asked if the girls were done with bottles and I said no, but it got me thinking. Why aren't they done? I still had formula left so maybe I was just waiting until that was gone even though they had been drinking whole mile since their birthday with no problems. So I decided to just stop....cold turkey. That night I just offered sippy cups before bed and Anna and Ava were fine with it. Alexis on the other hand threw a pretty good fit and didn't like the change of routine. I stuck fast knowing that she had taken in plenty of fluids the rest of the day. The next morning, Alexis had another sippy cup protest and I was THIS.CLOSE to caving because it broke my heart. I called Jeff but he didn't answer at work so I decided to just ride it out. I waited about 20 more minutes and she is the one that caved. Since then, no more protests and no more bottles!  

In the early days, we had up to 27 bottles/day and at the end we were only using 6 per day. I'm SO GLAD that I'm not washing bottles, sanitizing nipples in the microwave, putting in liners, carefully measuring out formula each and every night like I have for the past year. **side note-I've never used the dishwasher for bottles. We have HAND WASHED every single bottle/nipple the entire time mainly because I didn't want to run the dishwasher every single night and still need the full set of bottles the next day. So yes, we hand washed ALL OF THEM! and I say we, because Jeff did help with this luckily!** It's quite nice to just pull the milk right out of the fridge and serve whenever we need it!  Yes, I am still washing all of the sippy cups every night, but we don't go through as many and they are so much quicker to wash. And while I have tried pretty much every type of sippy cup out there, for now we are just using the cheap generic ones. Eventually I want to transition them to the straw sippys....hopefully less mess, but I'll be happy with what I have right now....NO BOTTLES! :)

aren't they beautiful? hehe!

9 comments:

Beth said...

That IS very exciting! Congratulations...another milestone accomplished!

Lani said...

that's an awesome feeling isn't it? We actually relapsed, my kids are kind of resistant to drinking out of the sippies unless they are dying of thirst, so they still get one bottle at night! We use the cups in your picture too- they are the ones they do best with, which is nice because they are cheap:)

Harris Boys said...

YAY girls!! you guys did much better than us...the boys were on bottles off and on till about 16 m/o. way to go girls and mommy!!

you'll love not washing bottles anymore!!!

osuapril said...

Such big girls! Glad you won the battle of wills;)

Tonya Winningham said...

WooHoo! Congrats on this! I, too, hand wash bottles, and even though I don't have triplets, he sure uses a lot of bottles! We're starting to try sippy cups now, too. He likes a Nuby one so far.

Grey Family said...

I think your last post was that by their 15 months appt. you wanted to phase out bottles. Congrats to the girls and mommy and daddy for getting their faster than that. :)

I have enough bottles to sink a battle ship! My babysitter had a lot of bottles that she gave me so I only have to wash bottles once a week. He only uses 15 a week as well. :)

Sippy cups haven't been our friends. He likes chewing on it much better than drinking out of it! He's also not the best at finger foods, but Cara reminded me that it will come with time and we have never seen Gerber Foods in College! LOL

Rachael said...

congratulations...isn't it so freeing?

SaraBelle said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!! :)

Amanda said...

amen sister!that's the way to do it! Cold turkey. U don't like it? Too bad so sad! (A phrase the twins have come to know and hate)