Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Blessings in Disguise

I know I have neglected the blog lately and I'm sorry to all of my faithful readers. I don't have an excuse per se, but I do have a few reasons. I'll call them BID (Blessings in Disguise)

BID#1: Jeff is staying up past 9:30pm at night.
Jeff has a herniated disc (possibly multiple) in his back and has been off work since Nov. 17th. He has tried physical therapy, 3 shots of sterioids in his back and absolute rest. (seriously, he has pretty much laid flat on his back this entire time with the exception of taking the girls to see Santa and going with me to a car dealership...more on that later.) I thought bed rest was bad, but at least I knew it was temporary and had an end point. Since he is not getting up at 4am to go to work, he is going to bed later. This means that we have actually had a chance to talk, watch TV and just hang out together. In turn that means, that I haven't made the time for the blog or posting because I want to take advantage of spending time just with Jeff. Something we have not done for nearly a year or more. This has certainly been a BID.

BID #2: Jeff is home all day, every day.
See explanation of why he is home in BID #1. He has been able to see the girls grow, interact, play, laugh, learn to walk, wave and push a grocery cart all from the "comfort" of the couch. This is the most he has ever spent with the girls besides weekends prior to his injured back. While he is not enjoying laying flat everyday, he has certainly loved watching the girls play all day and I know they are totally going to miss him when he does return to work. As soon as he comes down the stairs in the morning, they all run (ok, so it's a fast crawl) to him and to the couch and want him to hold them. He isn't able to play with them on the floor, so I usually just hand a baby to him on the couch and they usually sit and play with him for awhile and love on their daddy. Thus another BID.

BID #3: I'm driving a Sub.
As many of you know, I have had a Nissan Pathfinder for the past 2.5 years. I love this truck and all 3 of the infant car seats fit in the 2nd row. I still had room in the back for my behemouth triplet stroller (even the triple jogger fits) and everything else we need to go places. Well, I was sure that since the infant car seats fit, so would the next size car seats. I was wrong. I left Babies R Us with tears welling in my eyes because I had no clue what we were going to do. If they didn't fit, that meant we needed a new vehicle. How were we ever going to afford a new truck? Well, BID #3 relates back to the auto industry and somehow this actually worked in our favor. We were able to buy a brand new 2008 Suburban for a crazy good deal. Ok, so not that crazy, but seriously....they made it somewhat reasonable for buying a Sub. Instead of spending time on the blog, I spent every night researching vehicles, prices and requesting internet quotes (which I totally recommend!) I love my new truck and all 3 car seats fit across. Plus my strollers fit and I could possibly even have the 3rd row seats flipped up and still fit in one of my strollers. I told you I am driving a Sub. But it's a BID since I should be able to fit the entire next 10 years in this truck. Or at least I'm going to try.

BID #4: My Grandmother passed away.
Now before you think I'm a horrible, horrible person, please read on. My Grandma lived a very full, wonderful nearly 90 years on this earth and now she is with our Lord in Heaven enjoying the greatest of the greatest. I'm so thankful that she is not uncomfortable any longer. I'm also very thankful for the wonderful visit that I and the girls had with her and my Grandfather this past September. She was so happy to see the girls and just kept telling me and Grandpa how truly blessed we were. She was so, so right. I'm so glad that she got to meet my girls and hold them and love them. And even though she is not here, she is still bringing us all together in true Grandma Hagen fashion. This past Sunday we traveled to NW Ohio for her memorial service. My Dad is the oldest of 7 children so we have quite a large family. Many of my Aunts and Uncles and Cousins who live in Montana, Nebraska and Michigan (and all over the rest of the country) have never met the girls. Everyone came into town for Grandma's service and I was finally able to introduce the girls to much of my family that has only met them through this blog. It was so nice to reunite with family and of course to see my Grandpa too and let them all spend time with the girls. Thus BID #4. I love you and miss you already Grandma.
Here is a picture from our visit this past September.

BID #5: Long time since last Blog post
Since it has been far too long between posts, I have taken a ton of pictures. We have videos of Christmas, pictures of cute babies, pictures of Christmas babies and even more pictures. So stay tuned because I think I have enough pictures to satisfy even my most loyal followers. BID #5. :)

So hang in there with me for a little while longer (I need my husband to be back up on his feet) and I promise to get back to posting regular updates and pictures of the girls. I never truly realized how important this blog has become. To me, to my extended family and hopefully one day it will be valuable to the girls as well. I've missed hearing from all of you too, so be sure to post a comment when I start posting again. I love to see who all is out there.
So Take Care of yourself and your loved ones and give them a big hug and kiss tonight.
I wish for each of you a Happy and Blessed 2009!

xoxoxo
Marie

8 comments:

Kristen Callaway said...

It's amazing how much happens in a short amount of time! It's wonderful to hear that your Holiday has had many blessings, as that is what you wish during this time of year! You have always been a "hopeful" person and it shows as the abundance of happiness and blessings have shifted your way! Merry Christmas Thornhill Family and may there be many more coming your way! We miss you and hope we will see you soon!

Grey Family said...

It's amazing what may be thrown at you 75 mph and you still seem to hit it with your best shot! In fact, you always seem to turn the negative into the positive! :-) You are blessed to have that, your wonderful husband, girls, family and friends surrounding you! I'm so glad I have an update to read. I can't wait to see pictures of these cute girlies.

rachael said...

i am so sorry for your loss, but glad that you are able to look at it positively. i hope that jeff is feeling better soon - but that is probably wonderful to have him around so much :) can't wait to see and hear more updates on the girls. glad you all had a merry christmas...here is to a wonderful new year!

ps-welcome back...i missed you!

Beth said...

Thank you for such a wonderful and meaningful post! We have missed you, but know that when times get busy...something must give a little! I definitely do love how you can see all of those BID...even if some are caused by pain and sadness. We are so sorry for the loss of your Grandma. You and your family are in our prayers. I am glad you've had a wonderful Holiday and I (we) can't wait to see pictures of Christmas and those beautiful, beautiful little girls. Hugs and kiss!! And Happy New Year!!

~Jess said...

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.
My husband hurt his back a few years ago and after trying everything had surgery in February: Good luck...it isn't an easy thing to deal with.

Wishing you all much health and happiness in 2009.

SaraBelle said...

What a great post, Marie! How ironic that you were on bedrest this time last year and now Jeff gets to ring in the new year the same way. :( I hope he is back on his feet soon!

Congrats on the new car! I am sure that is a huge weight off your shoulders (and I was just going to send you an e-mail about a deal we saw on a Sub in the paper the other day . . . ).

Most importantly, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. But what a nice blessing to have all of your family to visit with. Funny how memorials can bring a family together that way.

I am so thankful to have met you and I wish you & your family a happy and blessed 2009!! And check your email . . . MoMs night out is in the works! :)

Lauren said...

Hello Jeff, Marie, and Girls!

Its Lauren Graham from PBK. I have been enjoying your blog since Jeff told me about it just days after you gave birth. I love to see how big they are getting and never knew how to post a comment until I created a blog for my little guy. Its truittsankey.blogspot.com. He was very sick when he was born and I was able to create a blog to help our friends and family stay up to date on his condition. I look forward to reading your new posts and I am so inspired by your loving words. Hope you all had a wonderful holiday, and a happy new year!

tbonegrl said...

We missed you a lot! Sorry about Jeff and I hope he feels better soon, but glad you two are getting some time together. I am so sorry for your loss. Also, been there done that with the car situation. Glad you found a deal.

Happy New Year to you all!