Friday, October 17, 2008

Let me clarify...

I just wanted to clarify something after reading some of the comments from yesterday's grocery/story time post. While I greatly appreciate all of the "Way to go" and "good job" comments, that's not why I choose to do these little adventures. It's not that I'm trying to prove anything really. Instead, the reason I take my 3 girls out by myself and go to the grocery and go to story time is simply because I want to be normal and want my girls to experience normal things. 

I NEED to do normal things to keep my sanity. I know it may sound like a small thing to some, but for me, to go to the grocery myself keeps me sane. Doing normal things during  a time that my life is far from normal (spending every waking hour entertaining 3 little ones is not normal! :) When I was on bedrest, all I wanted to do was to go to the grocery myself or walk around Target...seriously.  Not that Jeff didn't do a great job of grocery shopping, he did...I just wanted to do it myself. 

So for me I like to get out and do things that I would if I just had one baby. 

This brings up my more important reason....I want the girls to experience things just as they would had they not been triplets. If I just had one baby and was lucky enough to stay at home with her, then I would have certainly taken her to story time and the grocery store and pretty much everywhere. So I've decided that my girls shouldn't miss out on life experiences just because they are triplets and it can sometimes be tricky to go in public. Of course, I may have to rethink some of my choices as the girls grow. For example, my friend Katie is right. Once the girls start walking, story time might get REAL interesting if I go by myself. But I will just have to see how it goes. For now, this is working for me and I enjoy coming up with creative solutions on how to get us out of the house.  I know I'll be able to read Katie's blog and steal her great ideas too since her girls are about 9 months older than ours! :) 

The same thing goes for eating out in restaurants. I can't tell you how many parents have come up to Jeff and I at dinner and said that they don't take their kids out to restaurants because it is too crazy and that we are so brave. Well, I guess they have never spent 24 hours a day x 7 days inside a house with 3 lovely little ladies. After a while, you just need out. :) But I want to take my girls with me. I guess that is the difference. I want them to learn how to behave in public so as they get older, they will know what is expected of them and it "should" be easier. 

**Yes, I know I am naive...Jeff tells me this practically everyday...but I prefer to live in my nice little world where good things happen to good people and life is grand! If you want to come join me and live in my Happy World Bubble, there's always plenty of room for nice people!** 

So thanks to all of you that commented. You give me the encouragement and sense that I can do this. So YES, part of it is to feel that sense of accomplishment and feel proud that I can do things on my own, but for the most part, I just want to be like all of you....just don't talk to me at the grocery! :) 

7 comments:

rachael said...

well said, very well said. it is something i have been unable to articulate for quite some time! so...thank you marie! i want the peaches to experience the things i would have done with one child, heck, the things i did with lydia. people look at me like i am nuts when i take all 3 anywhere...but, it is usually a lot of fun to do something complete normal like run an errand or go to storytime. sometimes normal is just what is needed!

rachael said...

and ps, yes, you can do this and you are doing an amazingly, incredibly wonderful job!

SaraBelle said...

Ditto Rachel. Very well said, Marie! You know that I know EXACTLY what you are talking about -- esp. the bedrest part. I'm telling you, bedrest has messed me up for a long time. I can't stand to be stuck in my house and could not imagine being there 24/7 ever again! When Tim travels, it would be very easy for me to stay in every night b/c I have two babies to take care of. But instead I take them out places alone, to dinner alone and run my errands like I need to or normally would -- because I can, 2 babies in tow or not!! And kudos to you for giving your girls a normal life and for doing things on your own. Now if only those rude people in the stores & at the restaurants would just leave us all alone! :-)

Please know that you contiune to inspire me and challenge me to try to be as "normal" as possible, too. I really admire you and I consider myself so lucky to have met you!

Harris Boys said...

I don't think your naive...I think you are being realsitic...its hard getting out of the house with just one baby...imagine 2 or 3. I totally understand where you are coming from and the point you are trying to make. When I was a sahm with the boys for 17 months I went crazy. I was jealous of my friends with singeltons and the places they were able to go. It wasn't that easy for me to get 2 babies ready and myself and get out the door on time. I was always so nervous and worried the boys would get fussy and then what do I do? 2 babies...one mommy. I went stir crazy being in my house all day that I eventually told myslef it was ok to have a crying baby in public...no-one really cared.

and to add to your last statement..you can do this. You have done an amazing job and those 3 girls are darn lucky to have you as their mommy. Don't forget that :)

Grey Family said...

You crack me up! :) My favorite part was that you crave to just go to Target and the grocery. It's amazing how just a few min. of silence or doing something on your own is wanted now huh?
I went three weeks without cleaning the house, you impressed? :) While you may have clarified yourself, keep you mind that I still admire all that you are doing as a mother and a wife! You make all of this look easy. I am learning a lot of new things about the girls at the age to look forward to when Carson gets there. Keep up the great work and wonderful posts! I love reading them for sure.

Souza Sisters said...

What a great post!! I used to be afraid to go out with my girls... Not any more! I feel the same way. I want them to live a "normal" life and not be sheltered just because they are twins!! Very well said:) Oh and your girls are too cute!!

The Wilsons said...

Well said! I would like to join Happy World Bubble and I don't think it's unrealistic to expect.