Thursday, October 2, 2008

If a tree falls in the woods...

does it make a sound?  The answer is YES!  And it sounds like a huge POP! 

A few weeks ago we had a visit from the tail end of Hurricane Ike. With up to 80 mph winds, much of central Ohio had trees down and siding blown off of houses. We were lucky to not experience any outage of power, but my parents and also my sister both lost power as did 100's of thousands of others, like my friend Sara. The only damage close to us were trees and branches. This tree near the edge of our yard took a fall and actually crashed into another tree and broke it too. For perspective, I included the girls in their jogging stroller to show just how big the base/roots of the tree were. The tree is about 3.5 feet in diameter. It does look a bit hollow in parts of its trunk, but it was still a big tree to fall.

If any of you watch the show LOST, then you know what I mean when I say the trees were whipping back and forth like the forest in LOST when the black smoke monster is coming! YIKES! I'm just glad the tree fell Northeast instead of Southeast...which would have been on top of Jeff's truck and probably into our garage and office over the garage!  double YIKES!  Can I just say how much I like living in Ohio?  While we might have this occasional act of nature, we really don't have much to worry about besides a tornado every once in a great while. No hurricanes, no mudslides, no forest fires, no earthquakes....just nice and safe Ohio. It might not be the beach, but at least we're usually safe. I'll leave the natural disasters to the rest of the country...even if it does mean I don't get to live near a coast.  

3 comments:

SaraBelle said...

Holy cow -- that tree is huge! You are so lucky it didn't fall into your yard or near your house! Glad you were all safe (and maintained power!).

PS -- I love love love LOST. I'm counting down the days until it comes back. Good to know I'll have someone to lament over the "clues" with. ;)

the schirano triplets said...

oh wow, that tree is enormous! i am so glad that you stayed safe during the storm!

3T's&1R said...

We're so glad y'all are safe! I didn't realize what an effect Ike had on you guys. All of your pictures look great and the girls are absolutely precious! We were talking about y'all last week; Sharon, Johnny, Bear (Brad) and Cheryl came over for dinner. Everyone says hello! Talk with you soon, The Mastry's