Thursday, September 18, 2008

dun, dun, dunnnnnnn...the Grocery store.

I decided to venture out to the grocery by myself today...it was my first time taking all 3 alone. When Jeff and I go together, usually all 3 fall asleep or are happily entertained by isles of stuff that it really isn't that big of deal. So I decided I could do it by myself today. I am typing this at home, so you do know that we all made it home safely, but let's just say...it was an experience!

I don't know if the people were more shocked to see triplets or that I was alone at the grocery with triplets! I just was pretty nonchalent about it, because the way I look at it...I am with them alone all day at home, what would be the difference at the store besides I have 2 carts (push one, pull one) 3 babies and 10,000 gawkers! :)  I am still a little amazed by how bold some people are with questions and also why they still stand in front of my cart making it impossible to move and ask 10 more questions even after stating "I'm sure it's hard to get through the grocery because so many people stop you."  Uh, yea, it kind of is....but I was in a really good mood today and felt like I was accomplishing something, so I answered questions and didn't ram anyone with my carts. Of course, instead of sleeping, all 3 stayed awake and Alexis even had a little "big girl" time in the cart!  (no I don't have one of those nifty cart covers yet....next on the list....but I did wipe it done obsessively...not good enough I'm sure, but I could hold her, and push and pull 2 carts, so she had to sit in the seat.)

I did run over my own heel with the cart I was pulling and feel like I have arthritis in my right hand since I had to steer it with only one hand, but we survived, I have dinner planned for the next 4-5 nights and actually have all of the ingredients on hand now. (ok, one of those nights will probably be carryout pizza, but hey, who doesn't love pizza?)

So I will leave you with this....next time you are in the grocery and you see a mom of multiples or even a mom with more than one child, please keep your questions to 5 or less....she is probably just trying to survive those next 45 mins and still make it home before the frozen stuff starts to thaw. :)  Happy almost Friday!  

14 comments:

SaraBelle said...

Way to go, Marie!!

And I know what you mean about gawkers. We are in Tim's very small hometown this week and took B & K out to lunch this afternoon. I'm pretty sure every single patron said something about us either under their breath or directly to us. Ugh. It is like they've never seen multiples before! The "freak show" (us) was def. in town today! :-)

the schirano triplets said...

haha, i am so happy to hear you survived your first grocery store trip with all 3. gotta love all the weird comments and questions!

The Wilsons said...

Way to go!!! That's awesome...I hate gawkers too, but it always helps to be in a good mood and not have fussy babies!!!

Jennifer said...

I can't imagine surviving with 3 kids in the grocery store. I only have 2 and it is all I can handle! Good job!

Annie said...

Congratulations, you survived your first trip to the grocery store. I'm afraid to do that with my twins but maybe soon I will be able to go alone with them.

Annie

Grey Family said...

STUNNING POST!!!!This is one of the many things I refuse to do until Carson can sit up. He hates the car seat, so I can't carry him and push the cart. Ok, it's a reason to also make my hubby realize how much I do around the house etc. and he has to pick up the slack! He is doing SOOOOOO great with Carson (and he does 90% of the cooking!) Reading your posts has made me only say when I see twins, triplets etc. how cute they are and not ask a single question! :) If they aren't cute, I say I would rather die! JUST KIDDING! You are amazing in more ways than one!

Kristen Callaway said...

Congrats!! Another notch in the belt!! I have to admit...you are one of the few people I know that has the guts to do it!! I wouldn't be able to deal with the people!! HAHA!!! Hope all is well!!!

Harris Boys said...

I still get nervous taking the boys out alone. Grant it they are SOOO much easier now. But I can remember my first trip to the GS alone...I was super nervous and a ball of sweat by the time I left. It took awhile before I was comfortable taking them out a lone. I give you HUGE kuddos for taking 3 out alone....without all the comments and people stopping its hard and that just adds more complexity to the trip!

Way to go Marie!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I have 2 and I push my double stroller and pull a cart. The first time, I tried to pull the cart backward...nearly impossible. Better to turn it forward! Your babies are beautiful and they will love this scrapbook one day. Melissa

Kay said...

When I come to Ohio, I want to go to the store with you and observe the crazies. See you and the girls SOOOO soon!

Lani said...

I'm 2 chicken to push the stroller and pull a cart, so I stuff what I can in the stroller basket and carry a reusable grocery bag which usually ends up cutting off the circulation in my arm by the time I'm done:) Good for you for not ramming people with the cart though!:)

Sharon said...

Marie and Jeff- just found your blog thanks to Todd M. Wow- I didn't know about the girls until yesterday- congrats and all that. I'll be reading to keep up with you guys. Can't wait to get back to Ohio someday to see them. Love and miss ya, Sharoney

marciesteeves said...

Wow, I'm amazed you did the store all on your own! I'm too chicken to try it. Glad you all enjoyed your outing!

Grey Family said...

Hey Busy Bee..Just wanted to let you know I have missed your updates! :)