Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Greatest gift!

I'm a huge fan of books. I love to read. I haven't had time to read anything for myself lately...well except other blogs of course. :) I can't wait until I make time to read a good novel or mystery. In the meantime my reading has consisted of children's literature. This is fine by me since my love of reading was inspired at an early age and I hope to do the same for my girls. I love children's books and have acquired quite a few over the past few years at yard sales and stores in hopes that I would be able to share them with my own children one day.  I can remember my mom taking us to the library so we could stock up on books to read while we were on vacation. I used to get practically every Beverly Cleary or Judy Blume book I could find. I have to thank my mom for instilling such an overwhelming love for reading as she always encouraged me and included me in so many activities at the library. It didn't hurt that she was also a children's librarian when I was in elementary school, so I was involved in every summer reading program. LOVED IT!  I also am lucky that I inherited my dad's fast reading ability. I can finish a book in no time if it is interesting to me. Now a history book on the other hand could take me weeks to finish. Kind of ironic that I married a guy that has an entire bookshelf filled with American and world history.  Looks like he gets to help the girls with History in school, I'll tackle all other subjects...as long as he takes history. :)

Ok, with all of that said...Now on to the reason I started this post...I received one of the greatest gifts EVER from my friends last week at our book club. Look at what they got me...well, what they got for the girls:


They overwhelmed me by buying us a huge assortment of some of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE children's books. Come on, who doesn't LOVE Amelia Bedelia? Or how about everyone's favorite elephant BABAR?!!!  And you can't read to children without reading the great Dr. Suess, Courdoroy and Curious George or classics like the Hungry Caterpillar, Winnie the Pooh and Where the Wilds Things Are!  It totally takes me back to my childhood! Those were all of my favorites! I was so amazed by their generosity. They have really been so supportive throughout my entire pregnancy and of course now that the girls are here. They are the ones that already bought us our triple stroller for one of my showers and now, they have given my girls one of the greatest gifts....books and the gift of reading. Thank you K.D., Aylish, Derrill, Celeste, Cait, Adriana, and Karen! You guys are simply fabulous, way too generous and certainly some of the coolest chics I know!  Thank you! 

Aylish: Per your request, here is a picture of me feeding all 3 at once. There are better ways, but this is how I was doing it when I remembered to ask Jeff to take a picture. It all depends on who is doing what and how much they are all squirming. :) 
 

3 comments:

the schirano triplets said...

oh my gosh, that sounds exactly like me! what a wonderful gift you received from your book club!

Harris Boys said...

wow, you have some great friends. every book you named I LOVED as a young kid, esp. "where the wild things are" awesome read.

I love reading too, but b/w kids, work and my blog I don't have much free time. I have a few books upstairs I've been meaning to start...maybe I'll just do that.

Love the pics of you feeding the girls, your back must hurt afterwards..its SO nice when they can hold their own bottles!!

Kristen Callaway said...

What a wonderful gift!! It's one of those gifts you think, "Why didn't I think of that ;)" It was thoughtful and you deserve it!!