Friday, June 27, 2008

Sleeping Ava!

Ava is SO close to rolling over from her back to her tummy. (All 3 can roll over from tummy to back.)  So close in fact, the only thing holding her back, literally, is her little arm. She can't quite figure out how to tuck it in close enough to her body that allows her to roll over....except of course when she is swaddled. This is fantastic, except, now she is rolling over when she is swaddled and that is not so great and not so safe....so we had to say goodbye to the swaddle for Ava tonight.  She was pretty drowsy when I laid her down and usually (when swaddled) she will drift right off to sleep, but tonight she woke right up. I decided it was as good of time as any to start teaching her to soothe herself back to sleep and to fall asleep in her crib without being swaddled....sooooooo.....

I let her cry about 20 seconds...went in and gave her a pacifier and rubbed her back...walked out. She lasted about a minute and then cried. I waited about 30 seconds and did the same again. She lasted a bit longer. You get the point, but it only took about 5 tries and waiting only 1 minute 15 seconds of her fussing until she got the point...that I'm really right outside her door, she really is ok, and that she should really just go to sleep. She, along with Anna and Alexis (both still swaddled) have been soundly sleeping since 8pm tonight. I'm anticipating getting up several times tonight to go in and soothe Ava since she isn't swaddled, but it seems like she is fine with just a little bit of love and rub on her back and she falls back asleep.  I really hope the other two catch on as quick as Ava seems to be. I could in fact, be jinxing myself by saying all is well at the Thornhill house already, but she really did catch on quick...good thing too because I hated hearing her cry for even that minute...but it will be well worth it if she can fall asleep by herself un-swaddled.

The girls were all doing what I considered to be STTN (Sleeping Through The Night), but we were so inconsistent with what time their last bottle was that bedtime varied by 2 hours. So after a week of really being consistent with their bedtime routine, the girls are all starting to go to sleep between 7:30-8pm and wake up anytime between 4am-6am. I consider this a HUGE success...especially, since ALL 3 are doing it together! YEA GIRLS!!!  and Yea for Mommy and Daddy getting a little extra shut-eye...now if I just wasn't so addicted to this blog, maybe I could get to bed earlier than midnight. 

5 comments:

David and Joelle Turner's Blog said...

We just went through the same thing with our girls (unswaddling), it was difficult for us -- Lyla in particular. She is such a wiggly and active baby she woke herself up as soon as she would fall asleep, and when she gets overtired she is not very plesant. It took about 3 days of a fussy Lyla and 3 nights of lots of soothing (like you're doing for Ava) before she had it down pat. Now she sleeps better than ever! Pressley on the other hand took to life without the swaddle without any problems! Good luck with your girlies!!

SaraBelle said...

Yay for sleep!! I can't get over your girls rolling, too . . .that is awesome! I'm glad "project un-swaddleme" worked well . . . we'll be starting the same thing with Bennett soon (Kendyll is only half swaddled, so she will be easy!).

Anonymous said...

I'm addicted to your blog, too :o) This is Katie, one of Anna's nurses from the NICU. Email me at katie-ellis@sbcglobal.net when you get a free minute! They all look so great!!! :o)

Harris Boys said...

haha I understand your addiction...I read over 30 blogs a day, crazy huh??

yay for sttn...that is a long strecth of time...hopefully anna and alexis p/u quickly to the unswaddle life...keep up the great work marie...they seem to being doing so great!!!

the schirano triplets said...

yay for the sleeping and the rolling!!!

blog addiction is a terrible, terrible thing...lol!